What is Sciatica?
Sciatica refers to pain occurring in the sciatic nerve and its distribution area, which can be divided into primary and secondary types. Primary sciatica is associated with cold, dampness, injury and infection. Secondary sciatica is caused by mechanical compression and adhesion of adjacent tissue lesions, Bulging or herniated disc, Lumbar spinal stenosis, Spondylolisthesis, Trauma, Piriformis syndrome, Spinal tumor...
The Symptoms of Sciatica
The symptoms of sciatica are commonly felt along the path of the large sciatic nerve.
- Pain: Sciatica pain is typically felt like a constant burning sensation or a shooting pain starting in the lower back or buttock and radiating down the front or back of the thigh and leg and/or feet.
- Numbness: Sciatica pain may be accompanied by numbness in the back of the leg. Sometimes, tingling and/or weakness may also be present.
- One-sided symptoms: Sciatica typically affects one leg. The condition often results in a feeling of heaviness in the affected leg. Rarely, both legs may be affected together.
- Posture induced symptoms: Sciatica symptoms may feel worse while sitting, trying to stand up, bending the spine forward, twisting the spine, lying down, and/or while coughing. The symptoms may be relieved by walking or applying a heat pack over the rear pelvic region.
While, mid sciatica normally goes away after a few days, for the sciatica which caused by low back pain, lumbar disc herniation will be last a long time, it’s better to treat by low intensity laser.
Clinic Research of Low Level Laser Therapy for Sciatica
Dr Gladson Ricardo Flor Bertolini from Injury and Physiotherapeutic Resource Study Laboratory, Western Paraná State University (UNIOESTE), Cascavel PR - Brazil did the research about “Low-level laser therapy, at 830 nm, for pain reduction in experimental model of rats with sciatica”, The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of two doses of low-level laser, at 830 nm, on pain reduction in animals subjected to sciatica, they concluded that low-level laser therapy with a wavelength of 830 nm, at the doses used, produced a pain reduction in animals subjected to an experimental model for sciatica.
What’s more, the Dr White in Japan adopt the 808nm low leve laser treat 523 sciatica cases, 34.4% effective The markedly effective rate was 34.4%, effective rate was 46.3%, insignificant rate was 14.3%, unchanged rate was 4.8%, invalid rate was 0.2%, the total effective rate was 80.7%.
Laser treatment protocols
We suggest adopt the 808nm 1000mW laser irradiate the tender points of the sciatic nerve, for example, Lumbosacral area, hips, popliteal fossa, calf lateral ankle, each point 3 minutes, once per day, 10 laser treatment per session.
The benefit of Low level Laser
LLLT has been around since 1967, and there are thousand clinic research showing that it can help treat a variety of disorders without any harmful effects.
Low-level laser/light therapy (LLLT), also known as photobiomodulation, LLLT is the application of low-power lasers or light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to the body for therapeutic purposes, Low-level laser therapy (LLLT), is not only beneficial to your health, but has been proven to mitigate pain and inflammation and promote cell function and healing, LLLT is a wonderful alternative that is safe, natural, and effective. The low-level light stimulates your body’s own healing process without the risk of burning.
The Advantage of Low intensity laser therapy
- Easy to use, patient can treat at home, the practitioners can add laser in their scope of healing no limited
- No side effect, painless
- The effective rate is up to 90%
- Laser therapy is very cheap, one laser therapy machine can treat plenty of patients for different acute & chronic pain, inflammation, wound...
About 808nm 1000mW Laser machine
1000mW Laser machine is our mature product, which have helped more than thousands of patient get rid of pain, it combined with the wavelength of 808nm and 650nm low level laser. It's easy to use, the time and power is adjustable, It gives you the direct irradiation on your pain or inflammation, wound area to improve the microcirculation & metabolism in the irradiated area and increase an abundant blood supply to the injured tissues. In addition, it increase tensile strength of tissue, accelerate the rehabilitation of the sports injury, and relieve the pain and anti-inflammation, for details, visit Laser Therapy Machine
1. Low-level laser therapy, at 830 nm, for pain reduction in experimental model of rats with sciatica. Dr Gladson Ricardo Flor Bertolini [Link]